Monday, November 7, 2016

November 7, 2016: Halloween and 30 years in the making


Hello everyone!! How are you??  I hope you all had a good week!

We found Sasaki san last week and set an appointment for 6pm the next Tuesday.  Well somehow we messed up the time and we ended up showing up at his door at 7.  It was all good because he wheels in his drive way, gets out and says "Wait, you were coming at this time weren't you?"  We said of course haha. Anyway we find out that he had tried reading the Book of Mormon and it was hard for him.   So tomorrow we are going to give him the Book of Mormon storybook that I got from my mom when I first got to Japan.

This week we had a lot of fun with Halloween parties and helping a member teach her eikaiwa class.  It was way fun and I got to eat some of the snacks. So of course I was way happy.

We taught our amazing convert this past week.  But that isn't why he is amazing, this is why!  Thirty years ago, when he was living in Furukawa his wife suddenly passed away.  For reasons unknown.  For a long while he was struggling, looking for something, and needed help.  One day in his post box he finds a small piece of paper that he reads and is taken back.  He realized that "I need to push on, I need to keep going!  There is light at the end of the tunnel."   He takes that little flyer and puts it in his pocket and holds on to it for 30 years.  He looked at it in times of need and when he wanted a little support.  Eventually he marries a member of the Furukawa branch and was baptized about three months ago.  He is awesome.

This week he looks at this flyer again and realizes it was put into his post 30 years ago by a Mormon Missionary serving in the Furukawa area.    Yesterday at testimony meeting he gets up and bears the best testimony.  Hearing his story hit me hard.  At this point of my mission I have helped people and posted a lot of flyers.  Sometimes thinking that no one will ever read it or this is another waste of a flyer but it is not that way.  There is a purpose to everything under the heavens.  Brother Suzukis story has been 30 plus years in the making and I am glad to be a part of it.  I love brother Suzuki and the Japanese people. 

 I love you all and I testify that the church is true and this is Gods work!

 

Elder Halverson

ハルバソン長老~日本仙台伝道部







 

No comments:

Post a Comment