Monday, January 4, 2016

December 21, 2015 - It's Almost Christmas


I'll start off this email with what we did this week that was the most fun.  The other day we went caroling in front of a big shopping mall very close to our apartment.  It was really fun after we had been singing for a while, because right at first it was incredible awkward singing to a bunch of people in English none the least.  But that's not the best part, we handed out cards that had info about our ward Christmas party and the "Savior is Born" video with the website on it.  We also handed out more of our English class flyers.  I had to dress up as Santa and stand and give out all this stuff to people.  It turned out to be really fun in the end! haha.  Like I said, at first it was incredibly  awkward and a little weird at the same time.  But in all reality the best part was seeing the smile on people's faces when they saw us with Christmas stuff on and especially me with a big Santa suit.  That to me is one of the real meanings of Christmas.  Making someone smile and laugh by saying Merry Christmas to them.

And don't worry mom I've got pictures from it.

I had yet another experience with the language while on a split with another elder from a different area.  I had to use the language more than I was used to.  So I learned that I do know more than I think I do.  Even though I am still a young missionary with limited Japanese, and it can be really quite frustrating, I realized that at times it comes easily to speak in my new language.  I keep thinking about how I took Spanish in high school for a couple years and I ended up not being able to speak any Spanish to be honest with ya.  Now, I have been studying Japanese for about 4 months and I am far past what I was able to do with Spanish in High school.  It really is true that the language will come and I just need to be patient with myself and just use every second to learn.  It will come and I can testify how blessed missionaries are with the gift of tongues. 

I heard a funny joke the other day about missionaries.  Missionaries that go stateside come back scriptorians,  missionaries that go to South America come back bilingual, and missionaries that come back from Asia come back humble.  I am definitely being humbled right now.  Also the other day I had to give a training on obedience in DTM in Japanese so that was really fun.  I'm improving.

Also a really fun part of the week was when we played basketball with the ward and some investigators.  It was really fun!  It was the first time I have had the opportunity to play sports since I have been in Japan or really since I broke my foot back in the MTC.  The time sports vacation really showed in my play.  That day was also the day we went caroling, so basically we had an extra p-day with a lot of dendo in it! haha It was really fun, not going to lie.  More next week love you all!!

 
Elder Halverson

ハルバソン長老

Sent from my iPad
 


Making Izumi T-Shirts with the investigator



Kanji Halverson
meaning horse, spring and humble

Singing outside the mall in downtown Izumi

Santa Halverson

Not lots of protein, but the food is awesome
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment