Thursday, August 20, 2015

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:06 PM

First full week in the MTC!

When everyone says, “Just make it to Sunday and everything resets”.  They are right because Sunday was honestly the best day thus far here at the MTC.  We started the day with more Japanese and personal study for the majority of the day up until sacrament meeting.  The sacrament meeting is always in Japanese (as expected.) It was really weird and also kinda cool at the same time because that’s what it is going to be like for the next two years. 

Funny story!  After sacrament meeting, the wife of my branch president came up to me and asked, "Do you know Martin Halverson?" I said, "Yeah that’s my dad! haha How do you know him?" and she said, "I dated him at BYU!"  It must have been when you lived in that shack, Dad? hahah Small world huh?  Her name is Carlene Sorensen; just in case you remember her.

After that we went to the Sunday devotional, where the Nashville Tribute band came to play and they sang gospel type songs.  They really brought the Spirit. Also, it was some of the greatest music I’ve ever heard.  Even though it was country, I loved it.  I highly recommend listening to them when you get a chance!  

After that my district and I watched a video called the “Character of Christ”.  I would recommend everyone watch it because it is life changing! Elder Bednar talked about how we as missionaries can become more Christlike by looking outward to help people instead of look inward and being selfish.  It really hit home because I realized that missionary work and getting lost in the work is just the same as being Christlike and looking out to help and care for other people.  

The language is challenging! haha We have been teaching fake investigators in Japanese since the 3rd day here.  It’s rough, trust me.... Japanese sentence structure is backwards from English.  So I’m trying to say “We are God’s children”, but in Japanese I’m saying “God is our Children”.. The teacher always starts to laugh and it's kinda embarrassing, but I know I have to fail multiple times before I can communicate effectively.

The Fire hose metaphor is the MTC-wide metaphor… all the teachers use it and it’s still funny when people say it.  In my dreams and subconscious I think and can hear Japanese.  It’s really weird, I’m not going to lie.

I meet an Elder Halverson from Ogden, Utah who is going to the Columbus, Ohio mission haha small world huh?  I think that was the same mission as Max right???

High School football starts tomorrow!!!!  My zone leader went to Lone Peak and we played basketball against each other.  He recognized me and introduced himself to me the first day.  His name is Ben Clark.  We have a bet going for tomorrow.  Whoever’s school wins has to buy the other a snack or something.  I think Syd and Max should so the same bet or even if Bountiful wins Max has to send me a goodie! Hahah

Dad you better send me a dearelder to let me know who wins!

Story, I asked Junho if he accidentally brought his phone into the MTC.  He DID! haha He thought it was really funny, he had to send it home in a package.  

Well till next week, lmk though Dear elder how everything goes!!! love you all



--
Halverson Chourou

No comments:

Post a Comment