Wednesday, March 16, 2016

March 14, 2016 - Akitas to the rescue


Alright I am going down the list of the days cause they all have a story!

Monday!
P-day as usual... just relaxing hanging out, went window shopping where we could walk to around 大館!  Found this awesome sweets shop.  Bought this chocolate fudge ice cream thing that was out of this world!  Relaxing and stuff all that good p-day stuff right??  So here is the story.  After p-day ended on Monday we continued our Monday routine which is searching for old Q'S and posting.  After there wasn't a soul to be found while we were searching for old Q'S.  We started posting this area which seemed like a good idea because there are a lot of apartment buildings and should be some people when we follow up right?  So we are posting and the only person I have seen all night is my companion.  We get to this apartment building and we are using a flash light to get around cause it was so dark.  We walk up and in the dark there appeared to be a pile of garbage, only it turned out to be the only soul we saw all night.  This man stands up and makes the craziest sounds I have ever heard.  I turned and ran as fast as I could.  Didn't have to worry about my comps safety because he was doing the same as I was. We went to a different building cause that one was haunted.  (Partly didn't want to go back cause we were so scared).  So that raps up Monday!

Tuesday!
During streeting, 種田長老 and I were walking around this block of schools.  We finally see some little kids walking around. I say こんにちは and we start talking.  Btw they were your average hyper crazy little kids.  They ask where I am from and I say that I am 日本人(Japanese) they are so surprised.  Then I tell them to count my legs. Side note, in Japanese they have a counter for long cylinders and two long cylinders are called nihon which is the kanji reading, also the kanji for person is jin and when you put the two words together you get nihonjin.  Kanji is different but it's all the same when you speak it.  Back to the story, they count and then I point at my body and say"Jin". They start laughing and it was awesome!  They wanted to learn English also!  My eikaiwa flyers and my Books of Mormon are in the same bag so when I open the bag, the kids saw the Book of Mormon and took it out of my bag!  I look at my companion, he said injanai basically means "sure" kinda can't really translate it. Haha. And the kids start to read the book on the street out loud helping each other understand it!  Haha missionary work just became easy I thought.  Good day!

Our rescue dog
Wednesday started out pretty rough, nothing was going right.  I couldn't focus all that well.  Honestly it started like a pile of crap.  Before we headed out the weather finally was good enough to ride bikes!  But we had to put mine together because it was still in the bike bag!  It took about 30 minutes to do it and it was a rush job.  But we were finally off!  And after a while I feel a pop on the bike and then when I try to brake there are no breaks!  Stop myself with my shoes and inspect the bike and both bike brakes were undone and no way for fixing them!  I'll be honest, at that point I was ready to throw my bike into the street!  Finally get the Q'S house and I am still mad.  I said a quick prayer that I could receive the spirit and calm down so that we could help this Q.  The lesson was hard to understand but I understood enough to help this man to learn about God and finally get him to come to church!  The thing I learned was if you’re mad you don't have the spirit, if you’re afraid you don't have it, but if you are confident in God's help and humble, you have it!  You can do your best and the Lord will help you out!  Also we rescued a dog today!

Thursday we found out that a less actives wife is from Spain and doesn't speak Japanese or English very well.  So we are thinking of getting her a Spanish Book of Mormon.  And also thinking how the heck she is in Japan when she lived in Los Angeles.  The whole situation doesn't make any sense.  They are great to teach though.  We are hoping to get them out to church this week.

Friday is our weekly planning and then a small lesson with a 14 year old.  Then we played ping pong the rest of the night!!  With the kid of course!! It was tons of fun!!

Saturday.

A lot of the time is spent in meetings or on trains!  That took most of the day and then we had eikaiwa to finish the day off.  Eikaiwa is always fun!  I love eikaiwa!

Sunday was awesome.  Our investigator came to church and is coming next week.  Next week we will have another investigator attending!!  Two investigators is amazing and we believe we are seeing the fruits of our labor.  We have been working hard!  We had 18 people at sacrament!  Which is a record since I have been here in Odate!!

Love you all and have a good week!

Elder Halverson

 ハルバソン長老~日本仙台伝道部
Abandoned baseball field - the outfield is 400'
Narrow streets of Odate
 
Youth Choir from Izumi


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment